Skip to main content

More Multisport Madness



Sprint to the finish


Last time I blogged I wrote about participating in my very first triathlon.  It was something I had always wanted to do, but had never gotten around to until this summer when a friend invited me to join him on one that he had signed up for in rural Virginia.  If you missed that post, I had quite the roller coaster experience and I encourage you to read about it here before you precede, because a) it is frankly a miracle I ever signed up again, and b) you will be introduced to the cast of characters that are a part of this journey.  But, just as the other racers had assured me that first race, triathlons are indeed addictive, and needless to say I signed up for more with my friend (allow me to reintroduce him as Friend/Neighbor #1).

Given that I only had two weeks to "train" (you can't train in 2 weeks), I opted to compete in the event's duathlon while my friend did the triathlon.   What's a duathlon?  I didn't know either.  Under the broader sport of Triathlon there are several other multisports that fall under the triathlon umbrella.  Not all races have each option, but they all generally have a few to choose from.  A duathlon is a run followed by a bike ride followed by another run.  So, while the triathletes are swimming the duathletes are running, and everyone is on the bike and run course at the same time. There is also Aquabike which is the swim portion followed by a bike ride with no run.  You can also compete as a team in a relay version of the event.  There is something for everyone, and that's pretty cool.  Given how my first open water swim went, it will come as a surprise to no one, that I would really like to practice my swimming more in a pool, gain some skill and confidence in my swimming ability, and then try an open water swim in a triathlon again.  Or perhaps not.  There have been a lot of algal/bacterial conversations in my house, and I'll just leave that conversation right there.  But the good news is, there are triathlons that the swimming portion takes place in a pool, so I'd definitely do that.  Actually, the sprint distance triathlon in my town uses a pool, so I will be signing up for that one next year.

All things said and done, I have done 3 duathlons in the last 2 months after that first triathlon.  Friend/Neighbor #1 did 2 of them with me (he competed in the tri).   Friend/Neighbor #2 finally was able...and willing (after some aggressive nudging, trash-talk, etc. by me, Friend/Neighbor #1, and my husband) to compete in his first triathlon,  and the coolest of all was the last duathlon which took place this weekend and had a kids' duathlon that my boys competed in!  SO FUN!

So, for this post I thought I'd share some mini-race recaps (very short, I don't want to bore you to death),  and some funny stories and photos at both my and my friends' expense.  I hope you get a good laugh and perhaps feel a little inspired.  Enjoy!



Race Recaps


Luray Duathlon

After completing that first triathlon where my goal was only to finish, and in spite of that crazy swimming experience placing second in my age group, my goal for this race was to push as hard as I could on the bike portion, to attack the downhills and not be timid.  I have always been nervous of tremendous downhill speeds (for me 20 to 30 some odd miles per hour) so I just wanted to do my best to go fast.  

The duathlon started with a trail run circumnavigating the lake where the triathletes were swimming.  Despite the race director warning that the trail was singletrack and to not get stuck behind slower runners, I still took it way too casually, and ended up getting stuck behind slow runners just as he had warned with no way to pass.  *Headsmack* Oh well, learning experience, I guess.  Next up was the 16 mile bike ride and man, was it hilly.  H-I-L-L-Y.  It was a very manageable 14 miles and I pushed hard, but I was then faced with a soul-crushing incline at the very end of the bike leg.  The kind that reduces one who had been riding a total of 4 weeks to actual tears.  The climbing just wouldn't end.  I contemplating getting up out of the saddle, but my legs hurt so badly I wasn't even sure standing up would help to ascend this thing.  I tried. It didn't.  It only tortured different leg muscles.  I stayed standing far longer than I wanted for fear of the agonizing pain that was surely to come from switching positions again.  This is where the sadistic race photographer was taking photos on the bike course.  At nearly the top of the hill, I felt like I was going to vomit from effort.  I have never, ever felt like I was going to throw up from cycling until then.  A small consolation was that I made it to the top without dismounting which was not true of everyone.  Some even tacked up the hill, it was that steep and long.  When the hill mercifully came to an end, there was only a mile left to the transition area.  Now, when you've made it through that kind of ride and try to transition to complete the last run, your legs feel like lead.  It felt like magnets were holding them to the ground.  I adopted what I affectionately refer to as the Granny Shuffle.  Think something along the lines of speed walking (read: zero leg drive).  But hey, it worked.  By that time of day, it was sunny, hot, and humid, and I just wanted the run (and whole race!) to end and to stop being in motion. 


The start-line.  Where am I?  Not visible.  
Being timid, and paying for it as the trail narrowed and passing became impossible.

These folks were ready to go.

And here I am looking "mom-ish," out for a stroll around the neighborhood.


Some people look so cool at these races, their bikes cost more than my car and look like they belong in outer space:


Like this guy

And here is Friend/Neighbor #1 looking fierce and determined
(like he's going to hurt someone)!

And then there's me...

I mean, come on!

I don't do grr...  I really gotta work on my gameface.
I'm smiling.  I look happy. WTF?
I need to ask Friend/Neighbor #1 how to look like I'm going to rip someone's head off- jkjkjk!

The following photos are from the Hill of Death (I just named it that), and the varying styles of ascent people adopted.  They are only shown to display the level of difficulty.  Lots of walking, some tacking, and thank goodness I managed to dodge the photographer and there was no evidence of me practically crying.  BUT we all did make it to the top!!!




And this girl!  Smiling?!?!  What the ...?  Psycho 😒(kidding- lol)

After surviving the bike ride, here we are finishing up the last leg of the race.
My son took this photo of Neighbor/Friend #1,
again looking strong at the end of the race.

And me: d-y-i-n-g!

But at least I pulled it together for the finish line photo.
(I saw the photographer and was like "try not to look like you are going to puke.") But in reality, I felt a lot closer to how Neighbor/Friend #1 looked:

P.S. Those shorts are amazing!

All the effort was worth it as I finished 2nd in my age group again- yay! 
And was 6th woman overall!
(My shoe and sock situation though 😂)




Mighty Matapeake

Our next race was extremely fun.  We finally convinced (brow-beat, harassed) our friend, Friend/Neighbor #2, to come out and do the race with us.  This race was in Maryland on the Eastern Shore, right over the Bay Bridge. This was Friend/Neighbor #2's first open water swim and first triathlon, and everyone there was excited for him.  All our families came out and the kids got to play on the beach while we raced.  It was a PR kind of course.  Suuuuper flat.  I just wanted to go out and go out fast.  Placing 2nd in my age group twice now had whet my appetite, and had made me start to believe that I can possibly win a race one day if I keep working at it.  I just wanted to see what I could do. Friend/Neighbor #1 had chipped away at his swimming time and was looking to PR the swim portion and to continue to improve upon his biking.  Even though, he'd probably try to deny it, Friend/Neighbor #2 wanted to take people down.  He is really motivated by picking people off, so I just couldn't wait to see how this race would unfold.  Racing with friends is fun!  I was way ahead of them on the course because the first run was so short and I ran FAST (for me).  I passed both of them on the bike leg while I was coming back and they were going out. Friend/Neighbor #1 had swum faster than #2 so I saw him first, but #2 is a better biker so I was intrigued to see if #2 would catch #1 on the bike.  I headed out for my 2nd run, and on the way back passed #1 who was in the lead still, and immediately saw #2 and told him "you're gonna catch him, go get him!"  I think that was all he needed to hear because when I finished I went down to all of our families to cheer them in, and sure enough, Neighbor/friend #2 strode on in to finish ahead of Neighbor/friend #1 who was right behind.  

We all had so much fun and were stoked about how we did.  Neighbor/friend #1 did swim faster than ever and did well on his bike ride.  Neighbor/friend #2 did amazing on his first open water swim and triathlon, and his times were great.  I wonder if he'll sign up for another.  I placed 10th OVERALL and was the 4th woman.  I just missed the podium by one spot, not being aggressive enough with the woman I was riding with.  I didn't realize we were competing for 3rd place.  *Dagger*  I think a part of me still doesn't fully believe I can win or do well at this.  I'm still working on it.  All in all, it was a great day and I'm so glad we all competed together.


Neighbor/friend #1 crushed the swim leg nevermind those jellyfish in the bay!

A smile as Friend/Neighbor #2 exited his first ever open water swim.  He made good time, too!

My son took this photo of Neighbor/Friend #1 carrying his bike up the hill into the transition area.
Why not?  That's the way I do it, too. Actually. No. No, it's not. LOL

My son also took this photo of #2 zooming on the run leg.

And what does my son take a photo of me doing?  
Eating a snack before the last run.  That's great.

Here is my finish line photo though.

And Friend/Neighbor # 1's!





Hagerstown Duathlon and Youth Duathlon

What a great event!  I can't say enough good things about this race.  I am so proud of my boys for trying something new and taking the chance and participating in it.  The Youth Duathlon was a .35 mile loop, followed by a 2 mile bike ride, and then a .75 mile run.  About 40 kids participated!  There were kids from probably about 6 to 12 years old, so all age ranges have competition.  

To back things up slightly, Nick told us at the beginning of the school year that he wanted to join his school's cross country team.  My husband and I were stunned.  He has had asthma since he was a toddler and running has always been challenging for him.  Over Covid he has grown taller and has gained a lot of fitness simply by all of the hiking and walking we have been doing, and by playing football and basketball with the neighborhood kids.  As a result, his asthma has been less and less of an issue.  Nick had our blessing and went ahead and  joined the team.  Then one day, he came home and announced that he wanted to beat his class' mile record, which I believe is around 7:30.  Ok, I said.  Go for it!  So, he has been practicing on a 1 mile loop by our house in addition to his cross country practices.  A few days before the duathlon he let it be known that he wanted to win the duathlon.  Win the whole thing.  Wow!  That's a big dream!  Go, for it kiddo!  

Rhys said he wanted to do well, too.  Thank goodness he was aware that a lot of the kids were older than him, so he decided that his goal was to finish in the first half of racers.  Seemed reasonable.  I coached Nick to not be timid and get in the front at the starting line ( I need to take my own advice *ahem*) which he did do.

Scroll below.  I'm going to let the photos unfold how the kids race went:



It is tradition in the triathlon to get your race number written on your arm and your age to be written on your calf.  The race volunteer asked Rhys how old he was and Rhys said "well, I'm actually eight and a half, so the man wrote:


The Start Line

Rhys' biggest gripe about the race was being "cut-off" as you can see here 
(the boy in red on the right stepped directly in front of him).

But he managed to break back out.

N heading through the chute after the first run which he ran at a BLAZING 5:32 min/mi pace

And here comes Roo!

N managed to put a lot of space between himself and the next competitor.
Completing his 2 mile biking portion at 21.8 mph- gracious! 

Go, Roo! Go!
His ride was 18.3 miles per hour!

And yes, Nick did it!  He won!

What fantastic photos!



And Rhys' met his goal as well 😊

Yay- it's over!

So proud!


I did well in the adult's duathlon and had fun, too.  I placed 1st in my age group this time, and enjoyed talking to fellow racers after the race ended.  I still need to work on being more assertive at the start line and just going for it.  But so proud of my boys and such good vibes at the race.  Nick wants to do more duathlons next season and to compete in a triathlon, too 💖 Success!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS) and Quechee State Park

Quechee Gorge Before we left home yo head north, we had planned to meet Rhys's best-friend-of-all-time (and his family 😁) in Vermont where they were going to be taking their own little summer vacation.  You may remember from one of my previous posts that Rhys' BFF's family had moved to Boston a few years ago.  We have been to Boston proper to visit them. Last year we met at another halfway point, at a state park in New Hampshire (you can (re-) read about that adventure  here ).  Naturally, this year we thought we'd expand our radius a little into Vermont 😆.  We both mapped out where an approximate halfway point for both families would be and came up with Quechee State Park in Vermont. Interestingly, the day before we were to head to Vermont to meet them, I receive a text message from my step-sister who coincidentally also happened to be in New Hampshire!  She was staying near Dartmouth (which is right near the Vermont border) with a friend and was wonderin

Algonkian Regional Park and Countryside Trails

We have moved from June to July here in Virginia and with this change has come an increase in temperature along with it.  For today's walk, I wanted to go somewhere different to keep it fresh, as we've been walking everyday, but not too far as I didn't want us to be out in the midday sun.  I, therefore, chose to go to Algonkian Regional Park. Algonkian has many advantages: ample parking, wide open space, and many places to play and picnic. While Algonkian itself doesn't have billions of miles of trail, if you are just beginning to hike with your kids, if your children are younger, or if you'd like a flat (yay!), short(-er) walk, than Algonkian is the place for you.  If you'd like a longer walk, Algonkian is along/a part of the Potomac Heritage Trail.  To the west (to the left when facing the river) you can connect (behind the cabins or along the river) to Countryside's beautiful trail system, and to the east, you can follow the Potomac Heritage Trail all the

The White Mountains- Mt. Hale and Mt. Jackson

Thrilled to have "held" (fed) a gray jay atop Mt. Jackson This is a tale of a mother and seven year old son summiting back to back 4,000 foot peaks in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and a Gray Jay that saved the day! Sunday evening I spent quite some time online doing a bit of research.  I was trying to find a few 4,000 footers that I felt would be appropriate for my 7 year old.  As our first hike of this trip would suggest ( read about it here ), both kids are capable of hiking 12 miles in a day, but honestly, I don't like pushing mileage too frequently.  No one has fun on those hikes, so I try to do my best mixing up easy and tougher trails, shorter and longer mileage, etc.  I really wanted to climb a 4,000 footer or two this trip though.  I got on Google and looked up easier 4,000 footers.  A few people have blogged on this, and given that it really comes down to someone's opinion, I tried to see if there were a few that showed up on a couple of people'