Skip to main content

Greeley Ponds



We had been super lucky so far this vacation with the weather, but today Tropical Storm Isaias was making its way up the east coast and into our neck of the woods.  The good news was that it wasn't going to be in our area until late afternoon around 4:00 or 5:00 so we still had the majority of the day to get out and play.  Given yesterday's "5 mile low-key hike" that ended up being 10+ miles, my kids had every reason to look at me skeptically when I told them this hike would be "easy" (I know, I know.  I wouldn't trust me either, but the hike really is rated as easy.  Promise 😉)  It runs partly along an old logging road, so it is soft, wide and not technical (rocky or root-y).

You'll also notice that in the photo below the sign says Greeley Ponds, as in plural, more than one.  I don't know why, but I assumed it was only one pond.  Hikes are named imaginatively all the time, take for example a hike we did recently, Wolf Rock.  The sign said look at the formation of the rocks and use your imagination.  I'm looking at the rocks thinking "all I see is a pile of rocks."  So, in my brain I'm equating rocks not having anything to do with wolves to ponds meaning pond.  This probably makes sense to no one but me, and is me trying to explain away not fully paying attention to the details of the hike.  One benefit though, my not fully researching the hike, surely prevented my children's inevitable, completely justifiable revolt, because I'm positive it trimmed some distance off of the 3.4 out + 3.4 back= 6.8 total.  Almost 7 miles on a normal day would have been o.k. had we not just hiked 10+ the day before.  And let's be honest, had I realized there was another pond beyond the one we initially arrived at, I would have reasoned, "We've already come this far.  Don't you want to see the other pond?!?!?!"

But I didn't know, so we didn't continue beyond the first pond (now I've got unfinished business- joking/not joking).  It was an easy, chill walk, on a grey, dreary day.  The Oldest was in an artistic sort of mood and after a few races and a stick battle with his brother, and a toad catch and release, he asked if he could take take photos with the camera.  Well, of course!  I handed the camera over and it is always interesting to see what he sees in the world through the lens.  It can be beautiful (and funny sometimes) to see what catches the eye of a child so I've included a few photos below 😊📸

Straight forward mileage here 😄

I love that their stride it perfectly in sync.

I did not even suggest a slight detour for only ".8" which is "less than a mile."
This sign did plant a seed for a future hike though- so stay tuned...

What hike would be complete without a toad?!

AT this point, I gave Number 1 the camera. 
The following photos were taken by him as well.
I enjoyed looking at them, I hope you do, too.
(I think he should take photos more often.)






He handed the camera back to me when we got to the pond.
I thought the pond was lovely in a dark and eerie sort of way.



The trail continued on around the pond (on its way to the upper pond it would turn out),
so I walked partway around and took a photo.
By the way I just asked my husband while typing this,
"Did you know there was another pond after this (pointing to the photo)?"
Husband: "Yeah"
Me: 😠 
(I jest, I jest)

Heading back from the pond, descending the soft, wide trail engrossed in conversation.

I was admiring the wildflowers as we emerged from the forest.

When I looked up from the wildflowers,
I noticed that it had grown even darker and more menacing outside.
That put a little urgency into our steps.
Appears like the rain is a'coming

Thank goodness we were close, because with .0001 left to go to the car, the heavens erupted and unleashed some seriously heavy rain.  Tropical Storm Isaias had made its way to New England, aaannnnnd had we gone to the second pond we would have been out in the hard, COLD rain a lot longer.  So, it all worked out in the end!  See 😁?

Back at the house, the boys had lunch while watching Tropical Storm Isaias come down.

Unable to resist, they cavorted around giddily.

And I have to say, summer rain in New Hampshire 
is not the same as summer rain in Virginia.
It. Is. COLD.

The boys loved it!

Taking shelter while it was coming down particularly strong.



As the rain came down and the boys ran around out back, I slowly started to do the math on why there were flashlights on every nightstand and in all the kitchen cabinets.  Blackouts.  Indeed, as time went on the rain continued in torrents, the lights finally started to flicker and eventually went out. 

I think the boys actually enjoyed the power outage for its novelty factor.  It was also a "convenient" outage in that we had already cooked and eaten dinner, and bathed at that point.  We were also lucky it was closing in on their bedtime.  It was unbearably hot and stuffy without the fans (there is no ac there, they probably never needed it in the past) but fortunately, unlike a large swath of New England, the power was only out for a total of 4 hours.  Can't complain too much.

All cozy, snuggled up with a book and a flashlight.



Want more New Hampshire?





Comments

  1. I love his pictures! And the 10 mile hike would’ve taken us 3 days haha! And mine would definitely revolt after the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love that H. is getting out there! Does he love it? I remember when R. was his age, our max was 2 miles- 1 mile out and back. They can't wait to keep up with big brother or sister and before you know it, they are running ahead.

    That's gives me an idea for a post though- hiking with toddlers, how to get them started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and that rain was F.R.E.E.Z.I.N.G! They are so much heartier than me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! I love to see them running in the rain... the joy of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way of the samurai / [Text by] Geronimo Stilton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos from you and Nick. Rain can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! I LOVE running in summer rain. I was impressed that they withstood that cold rain though :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Exploration- Why I Have Three Toads in My House

2020 has been, without a doubt, a bizarre, stressful year.  Both boys were sick for an entire week before their schools officially went virtual for the remainder of the school year.  It was mid-March and a bit of a novelty for them to be doing school from home.  My younger son's school had lessons and/or classwork in the morning with the rest of the day pretty open, and my older son's teacher carried on "business as usual" for the rest of the school year.  He was busy online or with school work from 8:30 a.m. to around 2:30 p.m.  Whenever he had a break in the school day, we would all go out and walk to get fresh air and exercise, and over the course of a day, we'd walk around 5 miles.  Most days we would stay in our own town, and other times we'd go slightly farther afield.   Over these past few months, we have seen and photographed (with my modest camera) more animals than I ever thought possible, learned more about native (and some non-native) flora, and ha

Backyard Exploration: Discover Where You Live

I would imagine that no matter where you live, there are aspects of it that you take for granted.  Oftentimes in looking for things to do or places to explore, it is easy to overlook the obvious (your own backyard or town!) and set your sights elsewhere.  I know that we certainly have.   If you live in a rural area, the connection to the outdoors is pretty obvious, you might even see critters that you don't necessarily want to (Hello, Snakes!), but even if you live in a city, there is almost certainly green space or botanical gardens to seek out. We are fortunate enough to live in a place that is undoubtedly suburban, but has a deep connection to nature at its core.  Yes, there are housing developments and small shopping centers like most suburbs, but they left the woods and mature trees up surrounding most areas so you are still flanked in forest when you are out walking your dog or driving to the grocery store.  Don't want to drive to the grocery store?  Those woods house bot

The White Mountains- Smart's Brook to Sandwich Mountain

Today was the first full day of our second trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  I have been dreaming of returning since the moment we left this summer.  I knew my husband had a week off of work in October and I thought it would be a wonderful time to go back.  Once we decided to make reservations, I started buying and stashing non-perishable grocery items, preparing and freezing meals, heck, I even had the boys' and my suitcase packed a week in advance. Our trip north went well, although we took an hour longer (11 hours as opposed to 10 this summer) and it was raining the entire drive.  Luck would have it that when we drove in to Waterville Valley, the rain stopped, the sun came out and we were welcomed back with a beautiful rainbow.  I took it as a good omen. Once we arrived, we unpacked the car and went for a 5 mile walk along the Mad River, ate dinner, and went to bed dreaming of more adventures to come.  The following morning we all woke up early and prepared to go fo