Skip to main content

The White Mountains- An Outdoors Paradise

He took to kayaking immediately.  A natural!

After reading my last blog post, my husband pointed out to me, "you know what's even more impressive [than hiking 10+ miles and 4,000 ft mountains] that you've neglected to mention?"  Me, "what's that?"  Husband, "that in addition to hiking all of these days, we played 5 rounds of golf, went stand up paddle boarding and kayaking, played tennis at least 4 times, and went to the river after dinner most evenings."  Me, "you've got a point."  

Honestly, this trip has been one of the best vacations I've ever had.  It is a paradise for outdoor sports.  One small regret I have is that we did not get around to mountain biking, but realistically, I'm not sure when we would have fit it in!

The wonderful thing about staying in the valley was the spectacular view wherever you were 🌄 

Kayaking and Paddle Boarding


Happily, lazily paddling around the pond


He was off on an adventure, exploring alone.

Cute, although I'm a little disturbed at how pale my legs are here.


Tennis


We took full advantage of the clay tennis courts.  
The boys and I had never played on clay before and we all liked it.
(I believe that is Osceola in the background.)


Golf


Driving off the tee

They had a Caddy Shack, too, but what's a Snow Shack?

I can't get over the view of the mountains

Daddy's the Caddy
(He's carrying 2 bags here!)

Little Man LOVES these grasshoppers and they were all over the course.

While daddy's carrying your clubs you have time to chase them.

Got him!

😍💥💘

The tee is elevated and the green is down below.  It's a cool hole.

Gardens and streams surrounded and ran through the course.


Hitching a ride! So cute 💓🐸

The full range of emotions on the course.
I don't have any photos of the shouting, tears, clubs or lawn chairs being thrown, 
but every golfer will readily acknowledge these highs and lows.

Ah, but we've rallied with a beautiful drive.

Can we play again, daddy?

The Mad River


Lastly, we spent many evenings along the Mad River.  It seemed low and docile to me, but that made it perfect for exploring after dinner as the sun slowly set.

N took this photo of his dad and brother.  Beautiful light.


Good Night!


More White Mountain Tales:

Mt. Osceola- Can kids handle 4,000 ft???

Mt. Tecumseh- Steep, difficult- can we make it?

Greeley Ponds- Quick before the tropical storm rolls through

Cascade Path- Easy warm up?

Fletchers Cascade/ Drakes Brook/ Jennings Peak- HIGHLY UNDERRATTED

Comments

  1. Wow! The perfect vacation for you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was! I'm planning on returning very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Exploration- Why I Have Three Toads in My House

2020 has been, without a doubt, a bizarre, stressful year.  Both boys were sick for an entire week before their schools officially went virtual for the remainder of the school year.  It was mid-March and a bit of a novelty for them to be doing school from home.  My younger son's school had lessons and/or classwork in the morning with the rest of the day pretty open, and my older son's teacher carried on "business as usual" for the rest of the school year.  He was busy online or with school work from 8:30 a.m. to around 2:30 p.m.  Whenever he had a break in the school day, we would all go out and walk to get fresh air and exercise, and over the course of a day, we'd walk around 5 miles.  Most days we would stay in our own town, and other times we'd go slightly farther afield.   Over these past few months, we have seen and photographed (with my modest camera) more animals than I ever thought possible, learned more about native (and some non-native) flora, and ha

Backyard Exploration: Discover Where You Live

I would imagine that no matter where you live, there are aspects of it that you take for granted.  Oftentimes in looking for things to do or places to explore, it is easy to overlook the obvious (your own backyard or town!) and set your sights elsewhere.  I know that we certainly have.   If you live in a rural area, the connection to the outdoors is pretty obvious, you might even see critters that you don't necessarily want to (Hello, Snakes!), but even if you live in a city, there is almost certainly green space or botanical gardens to seek out. We are fortunate enough to live in a place that is undoubtedly suburban, but has a deep connection to nature at its core.  Yes, there are housing developments and small shopping centers like most suburbs, but they left the woods and mature trees up surrounding most areas so you are still flanked in forest when you are out walking your dog or driving to the grocery store.  Don't want to drive to the grocery store?  Those woods house bot

The White Mountains- Smart's Brook to Sandwich Mountain

Today was the first full day of our second trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  I have been dreaming of returning since the moment we left this summer.  I knew my husband had a week off of work in October and I thought it would be a wonderful time to go back.  Once we decided to make reservations, I started buying and stashing non-perishable grocery items, preparing and freezing meals, heck, I even had the boys' and my suitcase packed a week in advance. Our trip north went well, although we took an hour longer (11 hours as opposed to 10 this summer) and it was raining the entire drive.  Luck would have it that when we drove in to Waterville Valley, the rain stopped, the sun came out and we were welcomed back with a beautiful rainbow.  I took it as a good omen. Once we arrived, we unpacked the car and went for a 5 mile walk along the Mad River, ate dinner, and went to bed dreaming of more adventures to come.  The following morning we all woke up early and prepared to go fo