Skip to main content

Raven Rocks Summit via the Appalachian Trail


It's funny how some of the most amazing experiences you have you just happen to stumble upon.   Such was our experience with Raven Rocks.  We awoke Monday morning with absolutely no plans.  As I started my morning routine of coffee, getting dressed, etc. I had the anxious feeling that since it was nice weather (read: not in the 90's and slightly overcast) that we were "wasting" the day if we didn't go outside and do something (hike).  I somewhat randomly decided to Google "Bluemont hikes."  Why Bluemont?  Well, a while ago my best friend had sent me a photo of her daughter on a hike by a waterfall that looked pretty, and all I knew about it was that it was in Bluemont, so I thought I'd just try a search and see what I could come up with.  The first hike that popped up was Raven Rocks on the Appalachian Trail.  I quickly skimmed over the All Trails entry:  5.3 miles (check), good for kids (check), out and back (alright).  It also said something like locals call it "the roller coaster", rocky, moderate to strenuous.  I told my husband I'd found a 5 mile hike off the Appalachian Trail and that we should get ready.  He was game.  We hurried, packed snacks, rounded the boys up, and headed out.  It is always best to get to these places sooner in the day rather than later.  Generally, the parking lots are small at AT trail heads, you want to get out before the heat of the day, AND especially these days, there are MANY less people the earlier you go.  

I will say, this hike and the payoff were well worth the effort.  It is not a hike for beginners, it's Moderate to Strenuous ranking was accurate.  It is rocky and there are many ups and downs.  Pack plenty of water (or electrolyte drink in the summer) and snacks (we were ravenous after returning to the car where the rest of our food was.  Bring more than you think you need for a 5 miler.)  I would say that while it is o.k. for children, I wouldn't recommend it for super young ones, and it's probably not ideal for children (or adults!) that aren't used to hiking.

I absolutely loved it.  The terrain provided a great, engaging experience.  You had to pay attention to where you were walking most times and become so focused on the task that you aren't constantly thinking about mileage, or how much further you have to go, when you are going to have your next snack, or your to-do list back at home, etc.  It provided an actual workout, without being deadly.  Yes, there were steep parts, but it wasn't straight uphill the entire time. Actually, given the "roller coaster" nature of this hike, you climb- working one set of muscles, and immediately descend- working the opposing muscles.  It gives your lower back a break, too 👍-bonus.  I'll say this, my legs were sore that evening, and that is saying a lot for a 5 mile hike.

This ascent is right out of the parking lot.  The climb starts immediately.

And yes, the terrain really is this rocky on a good portion of this hike.

The boys, especially my youngest, really loved climbing all over the rocks that were right off the trail.

This clambering is actually on the trail.

But yes, he really enjoyed the rocks (Future Climber? Fingers crossed😉)

A preview of the view to come.
In the fall/winter, I would imagine you'd have a spectacular view the majority of the hike.



My son wanted to photograph an interesting caterpillar.
I haven't been able to figure out what kind it is.
If you know, or have a guess, please let me know.

And of the grasshopper (this photo doesn't do its size justice.  It was big!)

He loved the little inchworm making its way up his leg 🐛

Not an exaggeration that your ankles, calves, and legs will be worked from all angles.

Scarlet Tanager sighting- very exciting!  It's a beautiful bird.


Cheese📷

Honestly, this made me laugh.  The trail blaze was on a rock!

And what is funny, is that we almost turned back before the summit.  We had no idea how close we were.  The kids were tired after so many rocks, and so much up and down, that we stopped to rest and to have snacks by the water.  I decided to check my phone to see how close we were (yay- for reception and Google Maps), and we were .4 miles away.  Less than a half mile!  Truthfully, what really sold everyone, especially my youngest son, was that you cross state lines.  The summit is in West Virginia! Well, we had to carry on.  It was worth it!  When we reached Raven Rocks there were two college kids and thankfully they moved on quickly.  Remarkably, we had the overlook to ourselves for a bit.  We took lots of photos- many "frame" worthy.

Hey- yo!
Dad and Mom make an appearance😃



This one's a "Framer"




Comments

  1. How exciting. Keep this blog going. The stories and photos are great! You guys may be ready for Old Rag soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Can't wait for the boys to explore Old Rag! That will be a milestone :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Backyard Exploration- Why I Have Three Toads in My House

2020 has been, without a doubt, a bizarre, stressful year.  Both boys were sick for an entire week before their schools officially went virtual for the remainder of the school year.  It was mid-March and a bit of a novelty for them to be doing school from home.  My younger son's school had lessons and/or classwork in the morning with the rest of the day pretty open, and my older son's teacher carried on "business as usual" for the rest of the school year.  He was busy online or with school work from 8:30 a.m. to around 2:30 p.m.  Whenever he had a break in the school day, we would all go out and walk to get fresh air and exercise, and over the course of a day, we'd walk around 5 miles.  Most days we would stay in our own town, and other times we'd go slightly farther afield.   Over these past few months, we have seen and photographed (with my modest camera) more animals than I ever thought possible, learned more about native (and some non-native) flora, and ha

Backyard Exploration: Discover Where You Live

I would imagine that no matter where you live, there are aspects of it that you take for granted.  Oftentimes in looking for things to do or places to explore, it is easy to overlook the obvious (your own backyard or town!) and set your sights elsewhere.  I know that we certainly have.   If you live in a rural area, the connection to the outdoors is pretty obvious, you might even see critters that you don't necessarily want to (Hello, Snakes!), but even if you live in a city, there is almost certainly green space or botanical gardens to seek out. We are fortunate enough to live in a place that is undoubtedly suburban, but has a deep connection to nature at its core.  Yes, there are housing developments and small shopping centers like most suburbs, but they left the woods and mature trees up surrounding most areas so you are still flanked in forest when you are out walking your dog or driving to the grocery store.  Don't want to drive to the grocery store?  Those woods house bot

The White Mountains- Smart's Brook to Sandwich Mountain

Today was the first full day of our second trip to the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  I have been dreaming of returning since the moment we left this summer.  I knew my husband had a week off of work in October and I thought it would be a wonderful time to go back.  Once we decided to make reservations, I started buying and stashing non-perishable grocery items, preparing and freezing meals, heck, I even had the boys' and my suitcase packed a week in advance. Our trip north went well, although we took an hour longer (11 hours as opposed to 10 this summer) and it was raining the entire drive.  Luck would have it that when we drove in to Waterville Valley, the rain stopped, the sun came out and we were welcomed back with a beautiful rainbow.  I took it as a good omen. Once we arrived, we unpacked the car and went for a 5 mile walk along the Mad River, ate dinner, and went to bed dreaming of more adventures to come.  The following morning we all woke up early and prepared to go fo